Friday, November 21, 2008

Achievement

ACHIEVEMENT
Apr 24, '08 5:08 AM

It would have been a heated argument if I weren't that tired and drolling for sleep, when me and my good friend B on the same barandilla near the same Karangahan Blvd., but a little late in the night, talked and came to the point of talking about silly things again. That night it was about achievement and envy--or achievement-envy, whatever. I guess this was a relapse brought by, I don't know, certain feelings of un-appreciation.

Related Digression: Last night was Tabaco City night at Magayon Festival in Legazpi, Krear Bathala performed their, I guess, best work yet, KAHADEAN. Somewhere in the 7 minute song, a certain disgruntled Provincial official in the audience, texted the organizers to cut us out. The organizers "mercifully" waited for us to finish our second song before they did, and resumed the song and dance variety show...yehey! So there.

Back to achievement. Issue: Profile pictures showing high-rise buildings, snow, scenic spots, desert, white sand, a foreign person, etc. in a place other than the Philippines, has developed to a form of showing-off achievement. Warning: this will sound bitter. Okay, I told B that there is this trend in most friend network sites of showing off achievement using the context of the "abroad." B told me, so what? So what?, I would have asked (with matching spitting look), my blood rising. Can't you smell the garbage (I didn't say this, as I was tired and aching for bed, and a heated argument may make me not want to go to bed). But I might have had, for I was able to confess that I hate them-- yet I envy them. And it was B's turn to swing at me with a spitting look--you envy them? Maybe just a bit, but that's not the point. The point is achievement. I may be bitter, but achievement is the point. So we moved along to discussing what achievement is. Blah, blah, blah, we had arrived at this conclusion or more like an amicable settlement: achievement is relative to what you are (all that cliche), so even if there are people who upon waking up wants to make money they have achieved something worthwhile regardless of how much as long as they have been the best money-grabber or businessman at that moment. This also goes from the lowly eskinita tong-it grand champion to the greatest artist of the land. At least we have agreed that cars, mansions and saudi gold bling-blings are not the gauge for success. And because I cannot tolerate my own yawning anymore, I told him this is useless because I am not even affected by the photos anymore, and suggested to him to go someplace else, like Le Club Silencio or something where insomniacs can bathe each other in philosophical spit.

No comments: